Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where It's At This Week

Well, it's a sad day today - my Grandpa Bert died this morning.  He was a silent, stoic, intelligent, hilarious, wonderful, good man.  That last bit especially can't be said about a lot of people, but he was a good man and he lived a very long life.  He's with my grandma again now, and though I'll miss him a ton, I know he's happy with her.  If you would, just send your thoughts and prayers his way.  :)  Thank you.

It's Wednesday, so I want to share some of my favorite links and articles of the last week with you.

Where It's At:

Yet again, Women on Writing tackles a common writer-ly issue with amazing logic -- how to confront and rid yourself of writer's block.  Or in other words, cut the hocus pocus.

A great letter over at Dear Teen Me.  The highlight for me is when Dunkle points out: "Teens are the last minority against which members of our society can utter the cruel comments it formerly lavished on women and members of other races..."

Another "kick the author in the butt" post.  Quit blaming your characters for not writing themselves!  As my older sister Cara would say, this is the baseball bat of tough love.

We're all thinking about it.  Here are some great options.

Taking Agatha Christie's advice ("The best time to plan a novel is when you're doing the dishes.") and exploring it until you can't ignore it.

Last, but definitely not least, this Dear Teen Me letter is all about what a "friend" really is.  Read it and think about the people you've surrounded yourself with, as well as the kind of friend you are to the people around you.  Wonderful food for thought/reality check.

I've got a ton more articles in my list that I could share, but I'm going to save them for next week.  Back soon!

Love,

Cayla

4 comments:

Victoria Stewart said...

So sorry about your Grandfather... Praying for your family. :)

Twyla Brooks said...

I'm also sorry to hear your grandfather passed away. :( My great-grandma, whom I was very close to, passed away a month ago, so I know what you're going through. I'll keep you and you family in my prayers.

KupKake-Galore!! said...

I show my respect for your grandfather...

Kendy said...

Sorry to hear that. A bit hug for you and your family