Monday, March 7, 2011

URGENT: Twitter Impersonator

Well all, I discovered something very disturbing this morning.  There is a person on Twitter, using the username @CaylaKluver, who is impersonating me.  This person has cultivated 1300 followers and I wasn't even aware that it was happening.

To follow ME on Twitter, plug in the username @CaylaKL.

There are a number of things I'd like to say about this issue, but I'm going to try to keep it short and sweet.  First, I feel violated and abused.  Thankfully pretending to be me on Twitter has not allowed this person access to my personal life, but the idea that someone had the gall to use my name, my face, and my accomplishments to benefit him or herself is abhorrent and disgusting.

Second, I would like to apologize to my fans, especially the 1300 people who are currently following the fake Cayla Kluver.  Whoever this person is has been responding to you, giving you updates, and misleading you.  I adore every single one of my fans.  I have the utmost respect for you, and I am monumentally grateful for your support.  This person has taken advantage of you, and abused and violated your trust.

I have contacted Twitter about this problem.  My publisher is looking at potential action to take.  My agent is furious, and all of us are trying to spread the word and shut this account down.

What you can do to help:

   1) If you are following @CaylaKluver, un-follow this user immediately and instead follow me at @CaylaKL.

   2) Report the user @CaylaKluver for spam and inappropriate conduct to protect other users and encourage Twitter to examine this account.

   3) If you know anyone who is following @CaylaKluver, inform them about this scam at once, and direct them to the @CaylaKL Twitter page.

   4) Tweet about this, and re-tweet.  Share anywhere and everywhere.

Thank you so much for your support, and hopefully together we can fix this situation.

Love and apologies,

Cayla

8 comments:

Ali said...

That's a totally crap thing for someone to do. I've retweeted, and I reported that user.

I don't blame you for being angry or feeling violated. I'd feel the same. ~Ali

Isabel said...

That's horrible! You have every right to be furious - I mean, who DOES that? I hope the problem gets fixed soon. 1300 people is a lot. But I'm glad the person has been caught. That's really horrific.

Tif Sweeney said...

This is horrible! I am retweeted your post and once I figure out how to report the impersonator, I will do that too! I've recently changed Twitter apps, and I haven't figured out all the details of the new one yet!

June G said...

That fool even responded to Hillary Duff on your behalf. People are totally crazy. I'm sure it'll be resolved in short order. Looks like they've been doing it since October. Thank goodness they haven't said anything really inappropriate that would make you look bad, so that's something to be thankful for. I'll certainly retweet.

Ari said...

That really sucks. I don't really use Twitter (as if I don't have enough time to waste with my own blog) but I'm sorry about all this, and I hope the impersonator is stopped soon.

Ari

Ashley Graham said...

I honestly cannot believe the nerve of some people. I looked at the girl's profile and she was trying to talk to celebrities saying she was you and trying to figure out how to get a verification badge?! You don't deserve that. I'll most definitely help you spread the word.

Ridley said...

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but now you've learned an important marketing lesson - grab everything with the name of your brand, even if you don't have immediate plans to use it.

Grab your name (and anything close that uses _ or - in it) at twitter and Facebook and grab the web domain names with your name. Gather them all up and sit on them until you want to use them yourself.

Good luck straightening this out.

kendy said...

hope you can fix this problem cayla !!
good luck (: