Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Need2Read 3/15/11

Need2Read is a weekly meme hosted by Offkey wherein you post a list of one or more books you absolutely NEED to read.  Post your list on your blog, leave a comment here, and get a comment in return.  Or just share your Need2Reads here!

This week's Need2Read list...

1. Scars by Cheryl Rainfield


This book has been the subject of some controversy as I understand it -- that makes me all the more eager to read it, and all the more confident that it tackles a difficult topic with the utmost realism and no holds barred.

2. Sunshine by Robin McKinley


I have not read anything by Robin McKinley, which, as I'm thinking about it now, is really weird.  I don't know much about this book, but the YA Bibliophile says it's fabulous, and it's the only book of McKinley's she's ever picked out of the horror section.  Praise has been heaped on it, that cover is beyond awesome, and who doesn't love vampires?  Especially if they're scary.  Anyone familiar with this book and have an opinion?

3. The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander


Seen that Disney movie that has no business being a kid's movie, The Black Cauldron?  Well, I shouldn't say it has no business being a kid's movie -- as a kid I loved it.  But it is pretty much terrifying.  This is the first book in that series.  And I'm actually fudging a little by putting this on my Need2Read list -- a copy (with this cover!) is on the shelf next to me. :)

4. The Art of War by Sun Tzu


This is kind of an obvious one.  I write so much about kingdoms at war that it's about time I got my hands on The Art of War.  Even Glee references this book.

5. The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo


Okay, I'm not going to lie:  this book has me completely intrigued and confused.  It's in the "true crime" section at my local Borders, which  makes sense because it deals with true crimes, but from what I can tell it's set up like a fiction novel.  If you have read this book, please enlighten me!  I'm going to buy it no matter what because, like I said, it sounds super intriguing, but it's going to drive me insane if I purchase it without knowing what genre it actually is.

And that's my Need2Read list for this week!  All pretty dark stuff, I just realized.  Glimpse into the mind of Cayla:  the darker the better.  I never, and I repeat never, read light fiction.  If it's happy or funny, I avoid it like the plague.  I have a feeling I'm missing out on some fabulous books because of it, so I should really challenge myself it that department.  Next week's Need2Read! ;)

Oh, by the way, the series Memorias de Idhún by Laura Gallego was recommended to me as well, and I would love to check it out and bumble through it -- but being that I don't speak Spanish very well, um... which book is the first one? :P

Thanks!

Cayla

P.S. Mark April 1st on your calendar.  Big fun coming up....

No comments: